Detects cytomegalovirus but does not quantify viral load. Potentially useful for specimen types other than blood.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or serum separator tube. Amniotic fluid, bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), CSF, ocular fluid, tissue, or urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL plasma, serum, amniotic fluid, BAL, CSF, ocular fluid, or urine to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL) Tissue: Transfer to a sterile container and freeze immediately.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood or bone marrow; refer to Cytomegalovirus by PCR, Whole Blood or Bone Marrow (ARUP test code 0060031). Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source is required.
- Tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 3 months
All others: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 3 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060040||Cytomegalovirus by Qualitative PCR||5000-5|
- CMV by PCR
- CMV qualitative
- Human herpesvirus 5