Detects cytomegalovirus but does not quantify viral load. Potentially useful for specimen types other than blood. Cytomegalovirus by Quantitative PCR (0051813) on plasma is the preferred test for most clinical indications.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or serum separator tube. Amniotic fluid, bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), CSF, ocular fluid, tissue, or urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL plasma, serum, amniotic fluid, BAL, CSF, ocular fluid, or urine to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL) Tissue: Transfer to a sterile container and freeze immediately.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood or bone marrow; refer to Cytomegalovirus by PCR, Whole Blood or Bone Marrow (ARUP test code 0060031). Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source is required.
- Tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 3 months
All others: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 3 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060040||Cytomegalovirus by Qualitative PCR||5000-5|
- CMV by PCR
- CMV qualitative
- Human herpesvirus 5