- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), plasma preparation tube, or CSF.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells within 24 hours of collection. Transfer 3 mL plasma or CSF to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze. (Min: 1.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Heparinized specimens. Specimens submitted in plasma preparation tube.
- On Cells: Ambient: 24 hours; After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 6 days; Frozen: 6 weeks
An interpretation of "Not Detected" does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors or HIV-1 virus RNA concentrations below the level of detection of the assay. Care should be taken in the interpretation of any single viral load determination. The clinical significance of changes in HIV-1 RNA measurements has not been fully established; however, a change of 0.5 log copies/mL may be significant.
This assay should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
Specimens received with less than minimum volume for testing will automatically be run with a dilution according to the guidelines below:
--Specimens with 500-1000 µL will be diluted resulting in a modification of the quantitative range of the assay to 1.6-7.3 log copies/mL (41-20,000,000 copies/mL).
--Specimens with 200-500 µL will be diluted resulting in a modification of the quantitative range of the assay to 2.0-7.7 log copies/mL (102-51,000,000 copies/mL).
This test is intended for use in conjunction with clinical presentation and other laboratory markers as an indicator of disease prognosis. This test is also used as an aid in assessing viral response to antiretroviral treatment as measured by changes in HIV-1 RNA levels.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020297||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR, Log|
|0051817||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR Interp|
|2002646||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR, Copy|
- HIV-1 RNA
- HIV-1 RNA Viral Load
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 (HIV-1), Quantitative, RNA (Abbott RealTime)