Preferred test for detecting cytomegalovirus infection and guiding post-transplant therapy.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA), or Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL plasma, or whole blood, or BAL to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Whole blood: Refrigerated. All others: Frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source required.
- Plasma: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 year
Whole blood: Ambient: 7 days; Refrigerated: 7 days; Frozen: 7 days
BAL: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 3 months
A negative result (less than 2.6 log copies/mL [less than 390 copies/mL] OR less than 2.4 log IU/mL [less than 227 IU/mL]) does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen or CMV DNA concentrations below the level of detection of the test. Inhibition may also lead to underestimation of viral quantitation.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0051814||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, Interp||40444-2|
|0051815||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, Log Cpy/mL||54206-8|
|2002316||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, Cpy/mL||30247-1|
|2006534||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, IU/mL||72493-0|
|2006535||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, Log IU/mL||72494-8|
|2012051||Cytomegalovirus Quant by PCR, Source||31208-2|
- CMV Quant PCR
- CMV quantitative
- Human herpesvirus 5
- Viral load monitoring