Preferred test for detecting cytomegalovirus infection and guiding posttransplant therapy.
Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL plasma to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Heparinized specimens.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 year
The quantitative range of this test is 2.6- 6.6 log copies/mL (390-3,900,000 copies/mL) or 2.4- 6.4 log IU/mL (227- 2,270,000 IU/mL). One IU/mL of CMV DNA is approximately 1.72 copies/mL.
A negative result (less than 2.6 log copies/mL [less than 390 copies/mL] OR less than 2.4 log IU/mL [less than 227 IU/mL]) does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen or CMV DNA concentrations below the level of detection of the test. Inhibition may also lead to underestimation of viral quantitation.
See Compliance Statement A: www.aruplab.com/CS
The limit of quantification for this DNA test is 2.6 log copies/mL (390 copies/mL) or 2.4 log IU/mL (227 IU/mL). If the test DID NOT DETECT the virus, the test result will be reported as "<2.6 log copies/mL (<390 copies/mL)" and "<2.4 log IU/mL (<227 IU/mL)." If the test DETECTED the presence of the virus but was not able to accurately quantify the number of copies, the test result will be reported as "Not Quantified."
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0051814||Cytomegalovirus, Quant. Interp|
|0051815||Cytomegalovirus, Quant. Log cpy/mL|
|2002316||Cytomegalovirus, Quant. Cpy/mL|
|2006534||Cytomegalovirus, Quant. IU/mL|
|2006535||Cytomegalovirus, Quant. Log IU/mL|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at firstname.lastname@example.org.