Quantify Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) viral load as an aid in monitoring EBV-related disease.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or serum separator tube. OR CSF.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL serum, plasma or CSF to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood (refer to Epstein-Barr Virus, Quantitative PCR, Whole Blood, ARUP test code 0051353). Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 year.
A negative result (less than 2.6 log copies/mL or less than 390 copies/mL) does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen, or EBV DNA nucleic acid in concentrations below the level of detection of the assay. Inhibition may also lead to underestimation of viral quantitation.
No international standard is currently available for calibration of this assay. Caution should be taken when interpreting results generated by different assay methodologies.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0051338||Epstein-Barr Virus, Quant. Source||31208-2|
|0051351||Epstein-Barr Virus, Quant. Log||53774-6|
|0051821||Epstein-Barr Virus, Quant. Interp||5005-4|
|2002318||Epstein-Barr Virus, Quant. Copy/mL||32585-2|
- EBV Quant PCR
- EBV quantitative
- Human herpesvirus 4
- Viral load monitoring