Confirm histological diagnosis of Ewing sarcoma by detection of EWSR1-FLI1 and EWSR1-ERG fusions.
- Patient Preparation
- Specimen Preparation
- Freeze immediately. Transport 100 mg or 0.5-2.0 cm3 fresh tissue in a tissue transport kit (ARUP supply #47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Also acceptable: Formalin fix (10 percent neutral buffered formalin) and paraffin embed tissue. Transport tissue block or 4 tissue scrolls (tissue shavings), 10 microns thick in a tissue transport kit (ARUP supply #47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. Protect paraffin block from excessive heat. Tissue block will be returned after testing.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Fresh Tissue: CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
FFPE: Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated. Ship in cooled container during summer months.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens fixed/processed in alternative fixatives (alcohol, Prefer®) or heavy metal fixatives (B-4 or B-5). Slides. Decalcified tissue. Paraffin section slides.
- Fresh Tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 year
FFPE: Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0051219||EWSR1-FLI1 and EWSR1-ERG by RT-PCR|
- ewing sarcoma breakpoint
- EWS-FL1 Type 1
- EWS-FLI1 type 2
- EWSR1-FL1 type 1
- EWSR1-FL1 type 2
- FLI1 type 1
- FLI1 type 2