- Patient Preparation
- For newborns less than 30 days old, collect specimen from the mother.
- Serum separator tube (SST).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Frozen. Also acceptable: Refrigerated if maintained at temperature for 48 hours or less.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Microbially contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, or lipemic specimens.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 1 month
This test is designed to detect antibodies to platelet glycoproteins IIb/IIIa (HPA-1a/1b [PlA1 and PlA2], HPA-3a/3b, and HPA-4a), Ia/IIA (HPA-5a/5b), Ib/IX, and IV. In addition, this test will also detect antibodies to HLA Class I antigens (HLA-A-B).
Testing for neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia should be performed using a maternal serum, since platelet antibody may not be detected in a neonatal serum. False negative results are common in infant samples.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0051062||Platelet Antibodies, Indirect||24375-8|
- Antiplatelet Antibodies
- Antiplatelet, Circulating Platelet Antibodies
- Circulating Platelet Antibody
- Indirect Platelet Antibody
- Platelet Antibodies, Qualitative
- Platelet Antibody, Serum