- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 1.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.45 mL) Acute and convalescent specimens must be labeled as such. Clearly mark specimens as "Pre-Vaccine" or "Post-Vaccine". Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or other body fluids. Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
Antibody concentration of > 0.1 IU/mL is usually considered protective for diphtheria or tetanus.
Haemophilus influenzae type B:
< 1.0 µg/mL = Antibody concentration not protective.
> 1.0 µg/mL = Antibody to H. influenzae type B detected. Suggestive of protection.
Diphtheria and tetanus:
1. If the post-vaccination concentration is less than 1.0 IU/mL, the patient is considered a nonresponder.
2. If the post-vaccination concentration is greater than or equal to 1.0 IU/mL, a patient with a ratio of less than 1.5 is a nonresponder, and a ratio of 1.5 to less than 3.0 is a weak responder, and a ratio of 3.0 or greater is a good responder.
3. If the pre-vaccination concentration is greater than 1.0 IU/mL, it may be difficult to assess the response based on a ratio alone. A post-vaccination concentration above 2.5 IU in this case is usually adequate.
Haemophilus influenza B:
1. If the post-vaccination concentration is<3.0 µg/mL, the patient is considered to be a nonresponder.
2. If the post-vaccination concentration is 3.0 µg/mL, a patient with a ratio of 4 is a good responder, a ratio of 2-4 is weak responder, and a ratio of<2 is considered a nonresponder.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050210||Diphtheria Antibody, IgG||13227-4|
|0050535||Tetanus Antibody, IgG||6367-7|
|0050542||Haemophilus influenzae b Antibody, IgG||11256-5|
- Anti-tetanus toxoid
- C. tetani
- Clostridium tetani
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae Antitoxin
- Diphtheria Antitoxoid
- Tetanus Immune Response
- Tetanus toxoid antibodies
- Tetanus/Diphtheria Antibody Panel