- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, icteric, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|0.89 IV or less:||Not Detected.|
|0.90-1.09 IV:||Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.|
|1.10 IV or greater:||Detected - IgM antibody to HSV detected, which may indicate a current or recent infection. However, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection.|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050641||HSV 1 and/or 2 Abs, IgM by ELISA||41399-7|
- HSV antibodies type 1 or 2