Aids in discriminating between current and past cytomegalovirus infection in immunocompetent individuals.
Semi-Quantitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.Also acceptable: Serum from umbilical cord blood
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or urine. Contaminated, hemolyzed, or heat-inactivated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|0050165||Cytomegalovirus Antibody, IgG
|0.59 U/mL or less:
||Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days maybe helpful.
|0.70 U/mL or greater:
|0050553||Cytomegalovirus Antibody, IgM
|29.9 AU/mL or less:
||Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
|35.0 AU/mL or greater:
||Detected - IgM antibody to CMV detected, which may indicate a current or recent infection. However, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection.
CMV serology is not useful for the evaluation of active or reactivated infection in immunocompromised patients. Molecular diagnostic tests (i.e., PCR) are preferred in these cases.
This test should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050165||CMV Antibody IgG|
|0050553||CMV Antibody IgM|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- CMV Antibodies
- CMV IgG & IgM
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Antibodies, IgG and IgM, Serum