Detect presence of IgM antibodies to T. gondii. For male patients or nonpregnant female patients with equivocal or positive results, PCR (0055591) may also be useful if a specimen can be collected from an affected body site.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Serum from umbilical cord blood.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimen plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or urine. Contaminated, heat-inactivated, or grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|7.9 AU/mL or less:||Not Detected.|
|8.0-9.9 AU/mL:||Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.|
|10.0 AU/mL or greater:||Detected - Significant level of Toxoplasma gondii IgM antibody detected and may indicate a current or recent infection. However, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection.|
For male and non-pregnant female patients with indeterminate or detected Toxoplasma gondii IgM results, PCR may also be useful if a specimen can be collected from an affected body site.
This test should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
For additional information, refer to the CDC website: www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/health_professionals/index.html.
The magnitude of the measured result is not indicative of the amount of antibody present.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050557||Toxoplasma gondii Ab, IgM||5390-0|
- parasite serology
- T gondii Ab
- T gondii IgG Ab
- Toxoplasma Antibody, IgM, Serum
- Toxoplasma IgM, ELISA, Serum