CDC recommended screening test for syphilis. May use to confirm reactive treponemal test (eg, EIA, CIA) if using so-called reverse algorithm testing. Preferred test for monitoring treatment response in established syphilis.
Semi-Quantitative Charcoal Agglutination
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.25 mL) Also acceptable: Plasma, if testing is completed within 48 hours of collection.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF or other body fluids.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
| ||Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR)
||RPR (+) = Reactive|
RPR (-) = Nonreactive
| ||Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR) Titer
If RPR is reactive, then a titer will be added. Additional charges apply.
86592; if reflexed, add 86593
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050472||Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR)|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RPR with Reflex to Titer
- Treponema pallidum with Reflex to Titer