- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as acute or convalescent.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0050381||Rickettsia typhi (Typhus Fever) Antibody, IgG by IFA||< 1:64 Negative - No significant level of Rickettsia typhi IgG antibody detected.|
1:64-1:128 Equivocal - Questionable presence of Rickettsia typhi IgG antibody detected. Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
≥ 1:256 Positive - Presence of IgG antibody to Rickettsia typhi detected, suggestive of current or past infection.
|0050383||Rickettsia typhi (Typhus Fever) Antibody, IgM by IFA||< 1:64 Negative - No significant level of Rickettsia typhi IgM antibody detected.|
≥1:64 Positive - Presence of IgM antibody to Rickettsia typhi detected, suggestive of recent infection.
While the presence of IgM antibodies suggests current or recent infection, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050381||Typhus Fever Antibody, IgG|
|0050383||Typhus Fever Antibody, IgM|
- Typhus Fever Group Antibody, IgG and IgM, Serum (Rickettsia typhi (Typhus Fever) Antibodies, IgG & IgM by IFA)