Confirm presence of Rickettsia typhi. Panel test (IgG and IgM) is preferred. Requires comparison of acute- to convalescent-phase serology.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.05 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as acute or convalescent.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
1:64-1:128 Equivocal - Questionable presence of Rickettsia typhi IgG antibody detected. Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
≥ 1:256 Positive - Presence of IgG antibody to Rickettsia typhi detected, suggestive of current or past infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050381||Typhus Fever Antibody, IgG||5324-9|
- Murine Typhus Antibodies, IgG
- R typhi IgG antibody
- Typhus Fever Group IgG Antibody