Detects antibodies during acute phase; paired concurrent specimen with IgG reduces false positive rate. Convalescent sera may be required for diagnosis.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as acute or convalescent.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
1:64 or greater: Positive - Presence of Rickettsia rickettsii Antibody, IgM detected, which may indicate a current or recent infection; however, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050372||Rocky Mt Spotted Fever IgM||5308-2|
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever