Semi-Quantitative Indirect Fluorescent Antibody
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as acute or convalescent.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
<1:128 Negative - No significant level of Legionella pneumophila Type 1-6 IgG antibody detected.
1:128 Equivocal - Questionable presence of Legionella pneumophila Type 1-6 IgG antibody detected. Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1:256 or greater Positive - Presence of Legionella pneumophila Type 1-6 IgG antibody detected, suggestive of current or past infection.
Seroconversion between acute and convalescent sera is considered strong evidence of recent infection. The best evidence for infection is a significant change on two appropriately timed specimens where both tests are done in the same laboratory at the same time. This assay may detect infection by any of the serotypes 1-6. The CDC and many state health laboratories recommend testing only for antibody to Legionella pneumophila Type 1. For equivocal or positive IFA results, the CDC protocol suggests follow-up testing for Legionella pneumophila antibody Type 1.
For follow-up testing on equivocal or positive results, refer to Legionella pneumophila Antibody (Type 1), IgG by IFA (0050376).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050365||Legionella Pneumophila 1-6,IgG|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at firstname.lastname@example.org.