Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and/or 2 Antibodies, IgG
Semi-Quantitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Serum from umbilical cord blood.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transport 1 mL serum. (Min: 0.5 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine. CSF (refer to Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and/or 2 Antibodies, IgG, CSF, ARUP test code 0050394). Contaminated, heat-inactivated, or hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|0.89 IV or less:||Not Detected.|
|0.90-1.09 IV:||Indeterminate-Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.|
|1.10 IV or greater:||Detected.|
The best evidence for current infection is a significant change on two appropriately timed specimens, where both tests are done in the same laboratory at the same time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050286||HSV Type 1/2 Combined Ab, IgG|
- HSV 1 & 2 (Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and/or 2 Antibodies, IgG)