- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF or plasma. Contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0050216||Borrelia burgdorferi Antibodies, Total by ELISA|| |
|0050255||Borrelia burgdorferi Antibody, IgG by Western Blot||Effective August 15, 2011|
A negative result indicates that the Western blot evaluation for Borrelia burgdorferi antibody demonstrates no antibodies unique to Borrelia burgdorferi, and therefore is not supportive of Lyme disease.
A positive result indicates that the Western blot evaluation for Borrelia burgdorferi antibody is consistent with the presence of antibody produced by patients in response to infection by Borrelia burgdorferi and suggests the presence of Lyme disease. Although the test has been shown to have a high degree of reliability for diagnostic purposes, laboratory data should always be correlated with clinical findings.
Current CDC recommendations for the serological diagnosis of Lyme disease are to screen with a polyvalent EIA test and confirm equivocal and positive with Western blot. Both IgM and IgG Western blots should be performed on specimens obtained less than four weeks after appearance of erythema migrans. Only IgG Western blot is to be performed on specimens greater than four weeks after disease onset. IgM Western blot in the chronic stage is not recommended and does not aid in the diagnosis of neuroborreliosis or chronic Lyme disease. Please submit requests for appropriate Western blot testing within 10 days.
If ELISA result is 1.00 LIV or greater, then IgG Western blot will be added. Additional charges apply.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050216||Borrelia burgdorferi Abs, Total by ELISA|
- Lyme Disease
- Lyme Disease Chronic Reflexive Panel (Borrelia burgdorferi Total Antibodies, IgG and/or IgM by ELISA with Reflex to IgG by Western Blot (Late Disease))