- Patient Preparation
- Drugs and medications may affect results and should be discontinued for at least 72 hours prior to specimen collection, if possible. Collection of the specimen after the patient has rested for 15 minutes in a supine position is recommended.
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge within 1 hour. Transfer 2 mL plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze immediately. (Min: 1 mL) Avoid hemolysis.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Frozen. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma separator tubes. Body fluids other than EDTA or heparinized plasma. Non-frozen specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
Metanephrine: 0.0-0.49 nmol/L
Many drugs/medications, including over-the-counter and herbal products, can interfere with test results. Testing for all potential interactions is not possible. If the patient is taking a drug not listed as an interferent, its potential effect on test results is unknown. If test results are inconsistent with clinical evidence, drug interference should be considered. If appropriate, the patient should discontinue the potential interferent for 48-72 hours and a new sample collected for retesting.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Fractionated metanephrines
- Fractionated Plasma Free Metanephrines
- Free Metanephrine
- Metanephrines, Fractionated
- NMN, plasma
- Normetanephrine, free
- Plasma Metanephrines
- Quantitative Metanephrines