Detects past cytomegalovirus exposure. Not recommended for diagnosis in immunocompromised individuals.
Semi-Quantitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Acute and convalescent specimens must be labeled as such; parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent." Also acceptable: Serum from umbilical cord blood.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or urine. Contaminated, hemolyzed, or heat-inactivated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|0.59 U/mL or less:
||Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days maybe helpful.
|0.70 U/mL or greater:
In immunocompromised patients, CMV serology (IgG or IgM antibody titers) may not be reliable and may be misleading in the diagnosis of acute or reactivation CMV disease. The preferred method for diagnosis is culture of virus and/or demonstration of viral antigen in peripheral white cells (buffy coat), bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) cells, or tissue biopsies.
The best evidence for current infection is a significant change on two appropriately timed specimens, where both tests are done in the same laboratory at the same time.
This assay should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050165||CMV Antibody IgG|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CMV Ab, Quantitative
- CMV Antibody
- CMV IgG