- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- See individual components.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0050167||Varicella-Zoster Virus Antibody, IgG||Effective August 20, 2012|
134 IV or less: Negative - No significant level of detectable varicella-zoster IgG antibody.
135-165 IV: Equivocal - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
166 IV or greater: Positive - IgG antibody to varicella-zoster detected, which may indicate a current or past varicella-zoster infection.
|0099314||Varicella-Zoster Virus Antibody, IgM||0.90 ISR or less: Negative - No significant level of detectable varicella-zoster virus IgM antibody.|
0.91-1.09 ISR: Equivocal - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.10 ISR or greater: Positive - Significant level of detectable varicella-zoster virus IgM antibody. Indicative of current or recent infection. However, low levels of IgM antibodies may occasionally persist for more than 12 months post-infection or immunization.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050167||Varicella-Zoster Virus Ab, IgG||5403-1|
|0099314||Varicella-Zoster Virus Antibody, IgM||5404-9|
- Herpes Zoster
- Varicella Zoster Virus
- VZV Antibodies, IgG & IgM
- VZV antibody panel
- VZV panel