May be used as initial screening test in Wilson disease or copper transport disorders; preferred initial testing is panel with serum ceruloplasmin, serum copper, and free (direct) serum copper (eg, Wilson Disease Screening Panel, Serum 0020598).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or plasma preparation tube. Also acceptable: Plasma collected in green (lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma or hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 1 month
|6 months-6 years||18-37 mg/dL|
|7-17 years||20-43 mg/dL|
|18 years and older||17-54 mg/dL|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Copper Oxidase