Aids in initial diagnosis of connective tissue disease.
Qualitative Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay/Semi-Quantitative Indirect Fluorescent Antibody
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or urine. Contaminated, grossly hemolyzed, heat-inactivated, severely lipemic specimens or inclusion of fibrin clots.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
Effective November 19, 2012
| ||Anti-Nuclear Antibodies (ANA), IgG by ELISA
||Nuclear Antibody (ANA) by IFA, IgG
Anti-Nuclear Antibodies (ANA), IgG by ELISA: ANA specimens are screened using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) methodology. All ELISA results reported as Detected are further tested by indirect fluorescent assay (IFA) using HEp-2 substrate with an IgG-specific conjugate. The ANA ELISA screen is designed to detect antibodies against dsDNA, histone, SS-A (Ro), SS-B (La), Smith, snRNP/Sm, Scl-70, Jo-1, centromere, and an extract of lysed HEp-2 cells. ANA ELISA assays have been reported to have lower sensitivities for antibodies associated with nucleolar and speckled ANA-IFA patterns.
ANA are not specific for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) but are found in a variety of rheumatic or connective tissue diseases. When cell culture substrates (HEp-2 cells) are used, the ANA incidence is greater than 90 percent in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), 80 percent in Sjogren syndrome and scleroderma, and 40 percent in juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
ARUP uses anti-human IgG conjugate since many (20-77 percent) healthy individuals have low levels (1:40 to 1:80) of ANA-IgM. Conversion of ANAs from IgM to IgG generally precedes the onset of autoimmune disease states. If clinical presentation is inconsistent with the ANA IFA result, consult ARUP for alternative testing.
If ANA are Detected by ELISA, then ANA by IFA titer will be added. Additional charges apply.
If ANA antibodies are detected by ELISA, then an IFA titer will be added. Additional charges apply
86038; if reflexed, add 86039
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050080||Anti-Nuclear Ab (ANA), IgG by ELISA|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- ANA IgG Screen
- ANA Screen
- Antinuclear Ab