Use as a non specific screen for hemolysis due to drugs/toxins, enzyme deficiencies, thalassemias and unstable hemoglobins.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 5 mL whole blood. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Ship Sunday-Thursday only.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Samples greater than 96 hours old. Specimens from infants under 6 months of age; test results are unreliable.
- Ambient: unacceptable; Refrigerated: 96 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0049080||Heinz Body Stain, Direct||716-1|
|0049085||Heinz Body Stain, Induced||33057-1|
- Heinz-Erlich bodies
- Unstable Hemoglobin