Use to confirm unstable nature of hemoglobins. Test cannot be used on infants <6 months of age due to physiologically elevated Hb F levels.
- Patient Preparation
- Test results are unreliable in infants younger than 6 months of age.
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- DO NOT FREEZE. Transport 5 mL whole blood. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Samples more than 7 days old. Specimens collected on infants less than 6 months old.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated 7 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Hb Heat Sensitivity
- Heat Stability Test
- Isopropanol Stability Test
- RBC Heat Stability Test
- Unstable Hemoglobin