- Patient Preparation
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect from light and pack accordingly to avoid breakage. Transport 5 mL whole blood (Min: 1 mL) AND 6 unfixed, well-prepared smears (Min: 6 smears)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Send Sunday through Thursday only. Whole blood must be received within 24 hours of collection; smears must be made within 24 hours of collection and received within 7 days of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in EDTA. Poorly prepared smears (too thick or no feather edge). Broken or fixed smears. Specimens that have been spun. Smears made from anything other than heparin. Smears made from blood older than 24 hours
- Blood: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Unfixed Smears: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Male: 22-124 (no units)
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0049000||Leukocyte Alkaline Phosphatase|