Aids in the diagnosis of mastocytosis. Provide prognostic and predictive information for tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) therapy planning.
Assay: Mon, Wed, Fri
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) OR bone marrow (EDTA) OR tissue.
- Specimen Preparation
- Whole blood: Transport 5 mL (Min: 1 mL) OR Bone marrow: Transport 3 mL (Min: 1 mL) OR Fresh tissue: Freeze immediately. Transport 100 mg or 0.5-2.0 cm3 tissue. OR FFPE tumor tissue: Formalin fix (10 percent neutral buffered formalin) and paraffin embed tissue. Protect from excessive heat. Transport tissue block or four 10-micron shavings. Tissue block will be returned after testing. Transport tissue (frozen, paraffin blocks) in a tissue transport kit (ARUP supply #47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Whole blood OR Bone marrow: Refrigerated. Fresh tissue: Frozen on dry ice. FFPE tumor tissue: Room temperature or refrigerated. Ship in cooled container during summer months.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood OR Bone marrow: Frozen specimens. Clotted or grossly hemolyzed specimens. FFPE tumor tissue: Specimens fixed/processed in alternative fixatives or heavy metal fixatives (B-4 or B-5) or tissue sections on slides. Decalcified specimens.
- Whole blood OR Bone marrow: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
Fresh Tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 2 hours; Frozen: 1 year
FFPE tumor tissue: Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0040133||KIT (D816V) Mutation by PCR||55201-8|
- KIT exon 17