- Patient Preparation
- Liver tissue obtained with an 18 gauge needle.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport at least a 1 cm long specimen. Tissue can be fresh, paraffin-embedded, or dried. Also acceptable: Formalin-fixed. Specimens should be stored and transported in a metal-free container such as a royal blue (no additive).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens less than 0.25 mg (dry weight). Specimens stored or shipped in saline.
- Age is required on test request form in order to calculate iron index.
- In paraffin block, preserved (formalin), or dried: Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Indefinitely
Fresh tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Indefinitely
|Hepatic Iron Content (HIC)||200-2,000 µg/g of tissue||200-1,600 µg/g of tissue|
|Hepatic Iron Index (HII)||Less than 1.0||Less than 1.0|
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020816||Hepatic Iron Concentration|
|0020817||Hepatic Iron Index|
|2004961||EER Iron, Liver|
- Hepatic Iron Concentration
- Hepatic Iron Index
- Iron Tissue
- Iron, Tissue Liver
- Metals, Tissue
- Quantitative Iron
- Total Iron, Liver Tissue