Useful in the assessment of chronic exposure and determination of cadmium body burden. For acute exposure, Cadmium, Blood (0099675) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician). High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately, if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine. Specimen contaminated with blood or fecal material. Specimens transported in non-trace element free transport tube (with the exception of the original device).
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990-Barcode; #32991-No Barcode). Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
| ||Cadmium, Urine - per volume||0.0-2.6 µg/L|
| ||Cadmium, Urine - per 24h||0.0-3.3 µg/d|
| ||Cadmium, Urine - ratio to CRT||0.0-3.0 µg/g crt|
| ||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025038||Cadmium, Urine - ratio to CRT||13828-9|
|0025041||Cadmium, Urine - per 24h||5612-7|
|0025042||Cadmium, Urine - per volume||5611-9|