May be used in the assessment of occupational exposure or toxic ingestion. Preferred test for evaluating metal ion release from metal-on-metal joint arthroplasty.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive) or Royal blue (EDTA)
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge; Do not allow serum to remain on cells. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells, or clot, within 6 hours.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0025037||Cobalt, Serum or Plasma||5627-5|
- Plasma cobalt level