May be useful in the assessment of recent intake. For the assessment of deficiency or toxicity, Selenium, Urine (0025067) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive) or Royal Blue (EDTA)
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge; do not allow serum or plasma to remain on cells. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot within 6 hours.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Serum selenium level