Preferred test for the assessment of acute or chronic arsenic exposure. This test is able to differentiate between toxic inorganic and methylated species as well as benign organic forms. Results are reported as total inorganic, total methylated, and organic arsenic.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, nonessential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours. High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container and refrigerated during collection. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine. Specimens contaminated with blood or fecal material. Specimens transported in non-trace element-free transport tube (with the exception of the original device).
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990-Barcode; #32991-No Barcode).
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
| ||Arsenic Urine - per volume||0-35.0 µg/L (based on Biological Exposure Index)|
| ||Arsenic Urine - per 24h||0-50.0 µg/d|
| ||Arsenic, Urine - ratio to CRT||Less than 30 ug/gCRT|
|0020734||Arsenic, Fractionated, Urine|
| ||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025001||Arsenic Urine - per volume||5586-3|
|0025002||Arsenic Urine - per 24h||5587-1|
|0025058||Arsenic, Urine - ratio to CRT||13463-5|
- Arsenic/Creatinine Ratio, Random, Urine
- Normalized Urine As, Normalized Urine Arsenic