- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, nonessential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours. High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container and refrigerated during collection. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990-Barcode; #32991-No Barcode).
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|Arsenic, Urine||0-35.0 µg/L (based on Biological Exposure Index)|
|Arsenic, Urine (24-hour)||0-50.0 µg/d|
|Arsenic per gram of creatinine||Less than 30 ug/gCRT|
|0020734||Arsenic, Fractionated, Urine|| |
|Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|| |
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||20624-3|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025001||Arsenic Urine - per volume||21074-0|
|0025002||Arsenic Urine - per 24h||5587-1|
|0025058||Arsenic, Urine - ratio to CRT||13824-8|
- Arsenic/Creatinine Ratio, Random, Urine
- Normalized Urine As, Normalized Urine Arsenic