• Useful as an indicator of chronic exposure to lead, primarily in the industrial setting.
• For iron deficiency assessment - Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (0020420) and Ferritin (0070065) are recommended.
• For lead exposure assessment - Lead Blood (Venous) (0020098) is preferred.
• For occupational exposure to lead assessment - Zinc Protoporphyrin (ZPP) Whole Blood Industrial (0020614) or Lead Industrial Exposure Panel, Adults (0025016) are recommended.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA); Royal blue, (EDTA), tan (EDTA), or pink (K2 EDTA). Use royal blue (EDTA) tube when also testing for lead.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 1 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not collected in EDTA. Clotted, frozen, or hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: 30 hours; Refrigerated: 5 weeks; Frozen: Unacceptable
A more specific test for free protoporphyrin is Porphyrins, Serum Total (0080429). Erythrocyte Porphyrin (EP), Whole Blood (0020610), measures free protoporphyrin and zinc protoporphyrin.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020606||Zinc Protoporphyrin - Ratio to Hgb||29763-0|
- ZPP/Heme Ratio