Quantitative Immunoturbidimetry/Quantitative Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry
Refer to individual components
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive).
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge and pour off serum ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Do not allow serum to remain on cells. Transfer 4 mL serum (Min: 2.5 mL) to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 1 month
|0020096||Copper, Serum or Plasma
||Effective November 14, 2011
|11 years-12 years
|13 years-18 years
|19 years and older
|6 months-6 years
|18 years and older
|0020596||Copper, Serum Free (Direct)
Free copper (direct) is determined with serum ultrafiltrate. In Wilson disease or other conditions of copper overload, serum ceruloplasmin is usually low and free copper (direct) is usually high. Other tests used to diagnosis Wilson disease include 24-hour urine copper, and hepatic copper. Slit lamp examination for Kayser-Fleischer rings and genetic testing may also be helpful.
Elevated results from tubes not certified metal-free may be due to contamination. Elevated levels should be confirmed with a second specimen collected in a metal-free tube.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020596||Copper, Serum Free (Direct)|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Copper free and direct
- Copper Panel
- Copper, Free
- CU free and direct
- Direct and free copper
- Free Copper Index
- Free CU index