Preferred panel to diagnose conditions of copper overload in symptomatic patients or individuals with a family history of Wilson disease (WD). Directly measured, free (non-ceruloplasmin bound) fraction of copper is included. To monitor response to copper-reducing therapies, refer to Copper, Serum Free (Direct) (0020596).
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive).
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge and pour off serum ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Do not allow serum to remain on cells. Transfer 4 mL serum (Min: 2.5 mL) to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 1 month
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0020096||Copper, Serum or Plasma||Effective November 14, 2011|
|0050160||Ceruloplasmin (Temporary Referral as of 08/16/16)|
|0020596||Copper, Serum Free (Direct)||0.0-10.0 µg/dL |
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020596||Copper, Serum Free (Direct)||5631-7|
- Copper free and direct
- Copper Panel
- Copper, Free
- CU free and direct
- Direct and free copper
- Free Copper Index
- Free CU index