Specimen Collection and Handling
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours.
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 7 mL whole blood. (Min: 1.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparin anticoagulant. Frozen specimens.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990).
- Mercury is volatile; concentration may reduce after seven or more days of storage. If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the arsenic, cadmium, and lead values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020098||Lead, Blood (Venous)||5671-3|
- AS blood level
- Cd blood level
- Heavy metals blood levels
- Hg blood level
- Pb blood level