This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Patient should avoid ingestion of vitamin C prior to collection.
- 24-hour urine. Refrigerate during collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Thoroughly mix entire collection (24-hour or random) in one container.
Then, perform one of the two processing options below:
a. Adjust pH to 1.5-3.0 with 6M HCl (approximately 10 mL HCl/24-hour specimen based on normal adult output of 1000-2000 mL/24 hours. Pediatric specimens will require less than 10 mL to reach correct pH).
b. Transfer 4 mL aliquot of adjusted urine to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1.5 mL)
c. Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form. This information is required for test interpretation.
a. Transfer 4 mL aliquot from the well-mixed 24-hour urine collection (ARUP supply #48098) to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube with 20 mg Sulfamic Acid. (Min: 1.5 mL)
b. Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form. This information is required for test interpretation.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens with no preservative or with a pH greater than 4.
- Ambient: 4 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
| ||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h
|81 years and older
| ||Oxalate, Urine||0-12 years: 13-38 mg/d|
Male 13 years and older: 7-44 mg/d
Female 13 years and older: 4-31 mg/d
Reference intervals for random urine samples (mg/L) are not available.
Since vitamin C (ascorbic acid) quickly degrades to oxalate in nonacidified urine, patients should consider refraining from vitamin C supplements during and for 48 hours prior to urine collection for oxalate.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0020255||Oxalate, Urine - per 24h|
|0020484||Oxalate, Urine - per volume|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.