Uric Acid, Urine
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- 24-hour urine. Refrigerate specimen during collection. Also acceptable: Random urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Urine pH must be adjusted to greater than 8.0. If pH is less than or equal to 8.0, adjust pH to greater than 8.0 by adding 5 percent NaOH. Mix well and allow entire 24-hour collection to stand for 15 minutes. Recheck pH and readjust if necessary. Transfer one 3 mL aliquot from a well-mixed 24-hour collection to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Record total volume, collection time interval, and pH on transport tube or aliquot tube and on test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens with pH less than 8.0. Urine collected with acid.
- Ambient: 4 days; Refrigerated: 4 days; Frozen: 2 weeks
Uric Acid: 250-750 mg/d
Reference interval for random urine has not been established.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0020218||Uric Acid, Urine - mg/dL|
|0020219||Uric Acid, Urine - mg/day|