Protein, Total, Urine
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Refrigerate during collection.
- 24-hour urine with no additive. Also acceptable: Random urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 4 mL aliquot of urine from a well-mixed collection to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL) Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in acid (such as those previously preserved with HCl).
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|Protein, Total, Urine (measurement)||By report (reports may vary based on instrumentation).|
|Total Protein-mg/dL||By report (reports may vary based on instrumentation).|
|Creatinine, Urine-per 24h|
|Total Protein/Creatinine Ratio, Urine|
Total urine protein measurement using this method characteristically underestimates urinary light chains.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020200||Total Protein, Urine-per volume|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0020215||Urine 24 Hour Protein|
|0020722||Urine Total Protein/Creatinine Ratio|