- Patient Preparation
- 24-hour urine. Refrigerate during collection. Also acceptable: Random urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Adjust pH to 1 by adding 6M HCl (approximately 10 mL HCl/24-hour specimen based on normal adult output of 1000-2000 mL/24 hours. Pediatric specimens will require less than 10 mL to reach the correct pH). Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form.
Transfer 4 mL aliquot of urine from a well-mixed 24-hour collection to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens containing preservatives other than HCl. Specimen submitted in metal containers.
- Ambient: 1 week (if acidified); Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0020211||Magnesium, Urine - per volume|
|0020212||Magnesium, Urine per 24h|
- Magnesium/Creatinine, Random, Urine