- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive) or Royal blue (EDTA)
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge; do not allow serum or plasma to remain on cells. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes and specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot within 6 hours.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|0-10 years||75-153 µg/dL||75-153 µg/dL|
|11 years-12 years||64-132 µg/dL||64-132 µg/dL|
|13 years-18 years||57-129 µg/dL||57-129 µg/dL|
|19 years and older||70-140 µg/dL||80-155 µg/dL|
Serum copper may be reduced by use of corticosteroids and zinc and by malnutrition or malabsorption.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Copper Plasma
- Cu, Plasma
- Kaiser Fleischer Ring
- total blood copper level