• Identify increased concentration, which is indicative of acute intravascular destruction of erythrocytes.
• Not of clinical value in the diagnosis of chronic hemolytic disorders.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection (delayed separation from cells will elevate serum hemoglobin).Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.7 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Free Hemoglobin