This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect at 60 minutes post-glucose load.
- Gray (sodium fluoride/potassium oxalate).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells within 24 hours. Transport 1 mL plasma. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
Values > 140 mg/dL constitute a positive screen. Positive screens on pregnant patients should be followed by a diagnostic three-hour oral glucose tolerance test (Glucose Tolerance Test, Pregnancy 0020543).
Administer 50 g glucola. Do not mix with water unless directions on product label indicate to do so. The patient does not need to be fasting for the screen. During the test period, the patient should remain inactive and receive nothing by mouth (including tobacco); a small sip of water or ice is permissible. Reasons for invalid results include emesis and conditions that delay stomach emptying.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020047||Glucose Screen, Pregnancy|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Blood Glucose
- Blood Sugar
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test