- Patient Preparation
- Specimens are commonly drawn approximately 12 hours after last dose of lithium taken.
- Serum separator tube or green (sodium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow serum to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in lithium heparin or sodium fluoride/potassium oxalate. Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 7 days; Frozen: 6 months
Toxic: 1.6 or greater mmol/L
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020038||Lithium, Serum or Plasma|
- Li concentration