- Patient Preparation
- Plasma separator tube or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected from patients receiving deferoxamine (wait six hours after last dose). Specimens containing EDTA, sodium/fluoride, oxalate, or sodium citrate. Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 3 weeks; Frozen: 3 months
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020037||Iron, Serum or Plasma|
- Serum Fe
- Serum Iron