Cholesterol, Serum or Plasma
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Plasma separator tube or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow serum tube to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum or plasma from cells within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Body Fluid (refer to Cholesterol, Fluid, ARUP test code 0020714).
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 3 months
By report (reports may vary based on instrumentation)
A desirable serum cholesterol concentration in adults is less than 200 mg/dL and less than 170 mg/dL in children. A borderline-high serum cholesterol concentration in adults is 200-239 mg/dL and 170-199 mg/dL in children. A high serum cholesterol concentration in adults is greater than 239 mg/dL and greater than 199 mg/dL in children.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020031||Cholesterol, Serum or Plasma|