Panel to evaluate kidney function.
- Patient Preparation
- Plasma Separator Tube (PST) or Serum Separator Tube (SST) AND random urine. Also acceptable: 24 hour urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow serum tube to clot completely at room temperature. Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL) AND Transfer one 3 mL aliquot of urine to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Also acceptable: Urine specimens previously preserved with 6M HCl, boric acid, or 5 percent NaOH.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens obtained through catheters, used to infuse hyperalimentation fluid. Specimens with potassium oxalate/sodium fluoride, citrate, or EDTA as anticoagulants.
- Patient age and sex are required for calculation.
- Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 3 months
The CKD-EPI equation is validated in individuals 18 years of age and older. However, the equation is less accurate in patients with extremes of muscle mass, restriction of dietary protein, ingestion of creatine, extra-renal metabolism of creatinine, or treatment with medications that affect renal tubular creatinine secretion.
|GFR Categories in Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)|
|GFR Category||GFR (mL/min/1.73 square meters)||Interpretation|
|G1||90 or greater||Normal or high*|
|G3a||45-59||Mild to moderate decrease|
|G3b||30-44||Moderate to severe decrease|
|G5||14 or less||Kidney failure|
|*In the absence of evidence of kidney damage, neither GFR category G1 nor G2 fulfill the criteria for CKD (Kidney Int Suppl 2013;3:1-150)|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020025||Creatinine, Serum or Plasma||2160-0|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0050583||Albumin - mg/dL||30003-8|