Differential evaluation of encephalitis of unknown origin with subacute onset of seizures, confusion, memory loss, and/or behavioral change. For extended version of this panel, refer to Autoimmune Encephalitis Extended Panel, Serum (3001431). For adults and patients with suspicion of cancer, additional evaluation of paraneoplastic autoantibodies is recommended; refer to Paraneoplastic Antibodies (PCCA/ANNA) by IFA with Reflex to Titer and Immunoblot (2007961).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum Separator Tube (SST).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer three 1 mL aliquots of serum to individual ARUP Standard Transport Tubes. (Min: 0.5 mL/aliquot)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Amniotic fluid, ocular fluid, peritoneal fluid, synovial fluid, CSF, or plasma. Contaminated, hemolyzed, icteric, or lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|2004221||N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Antibody, IgG, Serum with Reflex to Titer||< 1:10|
|2001771||Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody||0.0-5.0 IU/mL|
|2004890||Voltage-Gated Potassium Channel (VGKC) Antibody, Serum|
|2003036||Aquaporin-4 Receptor Antibody||Effective October 3, 2016|
|2013320||Aquaporin-4 Receptor Antibody, IgG by IFA with Reflex to Titer, Serum||Less than 1:10|
|2009456||Leucine-Rich, Glioma-Inactivated Protein 1 Antibody, IgG with Reflex to Titer, Serum||Less than 1:10|
|2009452||Contactin-Associated Protein-2 Antibody, IgG with Reflex to Titer, Serum||Less than 1:10|
VGKC: If VGKC is Indeterminate or Positive, LGI1 Antibody IgG and CASPR2 Antibody IgG will be added. If LGI1 antibody IgG is positive, then LGI1 antibody IgG titer will be added. If CASPR2 antibody IgG is positive, then CASPR2 antibody IgG titer will be added. Additional charges apply.
NMDA: If NMDA antibody IgG is positive, then an NMDA antibody IgG titer is reported. Additional charges apply.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2001772||Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody||56540-8|
|2003121||Aquaporin-4 Receptor Antibody||61430-5|
|2004222||N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Ab, Serum||80221-5|
|2004890||Voltage-Gated Potassium Channel Ab, Ser||41871-5|