Recommended initial screening test for heparin-PF4 antibodies that cause HIT. Confirmation with Serotonin Release Assay (Heparin Dependent Platelet Antibody), Unfractionated Heparin (2005631) may be necessary based on clinical presentation.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Additional specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 2 years
A clinical scoring system to assess pretest probability of HIT along with other guidance for diagnosis is available in ARUP Consult®: http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/HIT.html.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012180||Hep-Ind Thrombocytopenia PF4 Ab, IgG||73818-7|
- Heparin Induced Antibodies
- Heparin PF4 Antibody
- Heparin-Associated Antibody
- HIT Antibodies
- HIT IgG, IgM, IgA
- HIT PF4 Antibodies
- Type II HIT