- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal Blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 2 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in tubes other than Royal Blue (EDTA). Specimens transported in containers other than a Royal Blue (EDTA) tube or Trace Element-Free Transport Tube. Heparin anticoagulant. Clotted specimens.
- Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
Zinc concentration in blood has not been shown to change significantly in deficiency or with supplementation.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2009374||Zinc Quantitative, Whole Blood||8245-3|