First-line test for diagnosing acute babesiosis. Detects nucleic acid from B. microti and detects but does not differentiate between B. duncani, B. divergens, strain MO-1, and strain EU-1. Blood smears are also appropriate for diagnosing and monitoring babesiosis disease; refer to Parasites Smear (Giemsa Stain), Blood (0049025). If also investigating Anaplasmosis or Ehrlichiosis, consider Tick-Borne Disease Panel by PCR, Blood (2008670).
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or Pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 1 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.6 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum, plasma, and heparinized specimens.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2008666||Babesia species by PCR||88233-2|
|2008668||Babesia microti by PCR||21089-8|