Most useful to establish autoimmumne etiology in previously diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM). Do not use to differentiate type 1 DM from type 2 DM, for most cases.
If pursuing antibody testing to determine autoimmune DM, perform at least two antibody tests. In most cases, use glutamic acid decarboxylase antibody in combination with another antibody test. Other antibody tests include Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody (2001771), Insulin Antibody (0099228), and Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Antibody, IgG (0050138).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Grossly hemolyzed or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 5 days; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 3 months
Kronus Units are arbitrary. Kronus Units = U/mL. This assay is intended for the semi-quantitative determination of antibodies to ZnT8 in human serum. Results should be interpreted within the context of clinical symptoms.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2006197||Zinc Transporter 8 Antibody||76651-9|
- ZnT8 antibodies